The last few years have seen the creation of a new batch of financial market acronyms:
- TINA: There Is No Alternative (to stocks)
- FOMO: Fear Of Missing Out (a market rise)
- BED: Buy Every Dip
Along with those, we got yet another alphabet soup of product-specific initials: SPAC, ETF, CFD… harking back to the CMO, CDS, CDO of the Great Debt Crisis of 2008-09. And we all know how that ended. Seems like the more things change, the more they stay the same.
So, since market sentiment always goes full circle, maybe we will eventually get yet another set of acronyms:
- NBC: Nothing But Cash
- FEDEX:Fed Executioner (of markets)
- DoBAS: Don’t Buy Anything, Silly!
- SEGA: Sell Everything, Go Away
- FOGG: Fear Of Getting Gutted
When those start appearing in the popular press - sorry, I meant social media 😜 - it will be time to start examining going long again. But not before, I think.
PS If you come up with your own acronyms in the comment section, I’ll add them above - with credit, of course (keep it PG13, eh?) 😊